Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lawyer from the seventh hell...

The trial yesterday was scheduled at 11 am but it only started at 11.15. I continued my testimony... rather I was cross examined by his lawyer. A petite, pregnant lady, but evil to the core... I hate her and I hope one day she will be beaten by her husband and when she cries for help, no one will come... Baru padan muka kau...

Among her questions were:

Q: what happened prior to the argument on the 15th of July 2008?

A: I was cooking in the wet kitchen, and defendant was washing dishes in the dry kitchen while mumbling bla bla bla.... I believed he intended me to hear what he mumbled, so I told him to stop doing the dishes and I would do it later. He started complaining about other things, accusing me of being a no good wife bla bla bla... next thing I knew, he slapped me on my right cheek with the back of his right hand.

Q: Did he ever beat you before this?

A: Yes

Q: When?

A: I dont remember the exact dates, but one of the occasions had led me to apply for fasakh in 1995 where the counseling report was submitted as evidence in the last trial.

Q: That evidence was dismissed because it was not certified.

(My lawyer objected, because the report was not accepted as exhibit, but accepted as ID. Judge agreed... thank God).

Q: Is it true that before the argument on the 15th of July 2008, he just came home from work?

A: Yes, in fact we both had just come home from work.

Q: Is it true that he did most of the household chores?

A: No, it is absolutely not true.

Q: Is it true that you never ironed his clothes?

A: Not never, I used to when we just got married. But he didnt like the way I ironed his clothes so he said let him do it himself.

Q: Was there ever an agreement between you and defendant regarding the sharing of household chores?

(By this time, I was already at the edge of my seat:
No. 1, what have all these questions got to do with my taklik claim?
No. 2, why is my lawyer not objecting to all these irrelevant questions?)

A: Do you have such agreement with your husband?

I asked the lawyer from hell... That made my lawyer look at me with sharp eyes... and he said, "just answer the question". So, I said "No, except for the ironing..."

The next question was even more absurd...

Q: Have you ever asked the defendant if he liked doing household chores?

A: No, why? Do you ask your husband?

This time my lawyer asked the judge to allow him to talk to me. He said "just answer what is asked of you. Control your behaviour (jaga adab kamu)"

I asked him, "why didnt you object to all these absurd questions?"

He said, "be patient".

The lawyer from the seventh hell repeated her question, and I answered "NO".

Only then, my lawyer rose and said: Your honour, these questionings show that the defendant and his lawyer did not deny the fact that there was an argument that led to the defendant hurting the plaintive on the night of the 15th of July 2008. And as the questions seem to be more damaging to the defendant than the plaintive, I would like to ask the defense lawyer as to the purpose of these questions.



To this the his lawyer said: There is no further question.



Outside the court room, my lawyer said he was positive that I would win and the defendant and his lawyer knew it too. That’s why they barraged me with those self-damaging questions just to test my temper and to embarrass me.



Lawyer from the 7th hell indeed........

No comments:

Post a Comment