Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Infidelity - hereditary?

A friend (HM) once asked me "is infidelity hereditary?" My answer... "Gosh... I hope not".

First let me talk about the reason why she asked me that question. At that time, about 2 years ago, HM had just found out that her husband (ZB) was having an affair with a girl of his office. ZB came home from outstation one day, and because he was too tired, he left his cellphone in the bathroom. HM said, she never checked her husband's cell before that, but that night she suddenly had the "urge" to check its inbox. Well... what do you know... there are some lovey dovey messages in it...

When HM confronted her husband, he denied it of course... But because of being cornered and caught red-handed, he admitted that those texts were to a girl that he "saja-saja kacau". You see HM is actually a very nice, soft spoken, all too trusting type of a girl... she believed ZB. She gave her husband the benefit of the doubt... But nasib baik she was not stupid, she jot down the girl's number.

A few weeks past, she had forgiven and forgotten what her husband did. But, as we Malays always say, Allah nak tunjuk... she found a text (sent message) in her cell to an unknown no that read "good night sayang... miss you". She thought hard about who could have used her cell. Having 2 teenage kids, naturally her suspicion was on them. So the first person she asked was her daughter... negative. Then she went to her son... again negative. Then, suddenly.. TING!!!! a light bulb lighted on her head... she looked for the piece of paper where she wrote down the mysterious girl's no... and voila!!!

Her husband was asleep at that time, and with trembling hand and extremely carefully, she took her husband's cell from under his pillow (classic symptom that a man is cheating on his wife - he guards his cellphone with his life). She opened his inbox... the reply to the text in the sent message in her cellphone was in there. And she checked the cell's balanced credit... zero.

Oh my God... what a bangsat man he is!!! He ran out of prepaid credits on his cell... and used his wife's cell to send a love message to his girlfren... and didnt even bother to delete it... A bangsat true and through!!!

Anyway, that was a Sunday afternoon, so feeling frustrated, cheated and betrayed she took her car and drove for hours. She only came home when she felt her baby kicked... oh.. I forgot to mention that she was 4-month pregnant at the time and that was the first time that she felt the baby moved. She thought, the baby must have been very hungry...

That night she called me and told me all this...

And before we ended our conversation that night, she asked me the above question: Is infidelity or poligamy hereditary? She asked this question, because she said there are many instances of divorces (due to infidelity) and poligamy in her husband's family.

And my answer was "Gosh... I hope not".. because there are also a number divorces, poligamy marriages and bermadu (3 pun ada) in my family and in my soon-to-be-ex's family... and I woudnt want my Mia to go through what I'm going through and I certainly wouldnt wish any of my boys to follow their father's footsteps... Nauzubillah...

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's hereditary or not, but somehow I think there is some truth in it. In my husband's family, ada a few examples. But I'm not sure if that's enough evidence to prove that infidelity/polygamy runs in the family.

    I feel sorry for your friend. What happen to her now? Orang lelaki ni gatal, kan? Wife tengah pregnant macam tu, mengada nak layan perempuan lain. Why is that? And why is it always when the wife is pregnant? Tak kesian ke kat bini tu?

    Ishh... I really have no respect for this kind of man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam to Mummy-mia (& to Mrs Nordin)..
    Whether it's hereditary or not, one thing is very sure that men do inherit the miang/gatal syndrome; however, it's up to those men whether to pursue or not. To pursue what? Faham2 ajelah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are still together. They have been together since secondary school, she said that she wouldnt know how to live without him...
    Funny... that's what I used to say too...

    BTW, her husband didnt marry that girl, though she knows that he still keeps the affair going. When she found out about my decision to end my marriage, she just said... "I'm not as strong as you"... Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear somuffins
    Salam to u too

    You said it... up to those men... and yup, faham2 ajelah... Sigh...

    ReplyDelete