Saturday, January 16, 2010

Padang... 15-16 Jan 2010

I went on a 2-day visit to Padang on 15-16 January 2010. I intended to go and come back on the same day but there was no flight back to KL on the 15th. I guess everyone can guess why I didnt want to spend the night there...

Even though the trip was short I managed to visit the 3 places that I intended to see...
1. the student on internship of course...
2. the areas stricken by the earthquake last year...
3. Pagaruyung...

The taxi driver, who was assigned to take me wherever I wanted to go for my stay there, recounted his experience on the day of the earthquake. And from him, I got to hear a firsthand story of the disaster. He also showed me the spot where he was at the time of the quake - he was driving his taxi on the road along Padang beach. His first thought was "Ya Allah... jangan pula ada tsunami..." because when he felt the shake he knew it was an earthquake, and the first thing he remembered was the pictures of tsunami vicstims aired on tv some 5 years ago...


The company my student is attached to for 3 months (Dec 09 - Feb 10)

With Mr Ano Sandro, the student's supervisor. We communicated several times via email before my visit, and all the while I have been addressing him as Ms Ano Sandra thinking that he was a lady... and he didnt even bother to correct me... was I surprised (and embarassed too) to finally meet him and find out that he was a man... hahaha... nasib baik dia sporting and said that, that actually happened a lot because his name does sounds like a female name... He said... "I can't be angry because the name was given by my parents, if I am angry at the people who misunderstand my name, that means I am angry at my parents..." what a good sport...

With the student, Monika Yuliana...

Satu Indonesia??? All the while I thought 1 Malaysia was an original... hahaha...
I took a few photos of the earthquake stricken buildings and area but most were not clear... all photos were taken using my mobile phone (I forgot to bring my camera... I know... how dumb could I be... my daughter said "sengal"... memang sengal... boleh lupa camera nak gi overseas... what to do... age is catching up... got to get those ginko biloba thingy....)

A building was totaled, but the ones on the left and right were untouched...
One of the hotels stricken by the earthquake

On the way up to Bukit Tinggi... forgot the name of the water fall.. but it's quite famous..

The most expensive lunch I ever had... 37,000 (rupiah that is.. hehe), but all the dishes were too salty to my liking...

Pagaruyung... still under construction after being destroyed by a fire started by a lightning about 3 years ago. The reconstruction of the palace started 2 years ago, and according to the guide, Malaysian (not sure government or NGO) contributes some RM2.5 million to it. It will be ready for visitors in about 6 months time. The journey there was very tiring... about one hour from Bukit Tinggi, and to get to Bukit Tinggi from Padang took almost 2 hours... a total of 3 hour-drive on a bumpy road some more... I slept and woke up and slept and woke up entah berapa kali... and when I finally reached there and got out of the car... Ouch!!! sakitnya pinggang!!!!

Right in front of the palace... there were many young girls selling fruits like manggis, ciku, rambutan and also cd about the history of the istana pagaruyung... So I thought, what the heck let's buy a basket of ciku (which cost 10,000rupiah)... after that the rest of the girls became aggressive demanding that I bought from them too... they pulled my sleeves, scarf and handbag... The guide had to "save and lock" me up in the car... he apologised for not warning me about that earlier... but nasib baik sempat ambik a few shots...



View from the hotel I was staying in in Bukit Tinggi (Kharisma hotel)

No comments:

Post a Comment